bucking pony

We had one pony who liked to throw in a buck every now and again.  We
tried a couple of things that helped the kid stay on.  One is a
pelham bit that you mentioned as the girls were able to keep the pony's
head up better.  We used a converter instead of double reins.  Also used
a grab strap across the pommell of the saddle, helps the kids pull
themselves down into the saddle, or a neckstrap sort of does the same
thing, it was an old stirrup leather.  As the kids developed a better
seat and didn't come off the pony anymore when she bucked, she quit
bucking.  Her next trick was to lay down while the kids were riding when
she didn't want to do this anymore.  Usually it was after we had been
out for an hour or so. My daughters rode in an all purpose type
english saddle, the knee rolls helped to keep them from pitching forward
too much.  It's hard not too worry, but if she is so enthusiastic whe
will want to perserve and will develop into a stronger rider.  My oldest
daughter was like that, and that pony wasn't going to get the best of
her, but basically like you I felt the pony was safe, and I would ride
it every week or so just to keep her thinking.  Hovever, my youngest
daughter was a timid rider and fortunately by the time she got the pony
handed down to her she was child proof. Good luck its lots of fun to
have the kids to ride with.  Louise