Re: kid flinging pony

Hey Angie,

As the mom of twins who just turned nine and both did a couple of 25's last
season, I understand your concerns over your bucking pony.  It certainly
sounds like a behavioral thing.  My first thought is that I would believe
that the curb bit would encourage the pony to lower his head, rather than
raise it.  I'm thinking a thin, smooth snaffle, or perhaps even a twisted
snaffle with a running martingale set long and some work on your daughters
part on keeping that pony's head up, up, up might help.  Perhaps she can
learn to detect when he's about to pull his stunt (he's got to lower that
head somewhat) and learn to bump that pony's head up.  I've had a few
buckers in my day, and it is a behavior which can be cured with persistence.
Additionally, I've got a rather ornery 1/2 Arab mare whom my kids both did
their first 25's on.  She doesn't buck, but she can pull some screwy stuff
when she decides she's had enough of small children.  As an added safety
feature, I strapped my kids into a safety vest, in addition to their
helmets, for their first long training and LD rides.  Being so young, it
never occurred to them for a moment to complain about them being hot or
uncomfortable.  With your "bucker" it might give you both a bit more peace
of mind until you get the problem under control.  As to helmets, I hear you
on the Lidlocker.  My daughter is very flat-headed in the back and that
helmet just does not work for her.  Falls right down in her eyes, as you
describe.  For her, the Troxel works better.  My son, her twin, on the other
hand does well in the Lidlocker.

I love your idea of having a Big Horn endurance saddle designed for your
daughter.  My son wanted his own "endurance" saddle for his birthday last
week and I had to tell him there really weren't any (at least not
financially feasible) made for kids.  If this works out for you, do let me
know.  And, if they'll work out a better deal for you in making more than
one of those little saddles, let me know... I'd be game for two of them
myself!

Regards,
Susan Swope
Kentucky