Cut that won't heal

Sounds to me like your horse has scratches aka greasy heel, mud fever etc.
It is caused by a higher bacterium and thrives in wet muddy conditions. I
have had very good luck with Desitin or generic diaper rash creme. It is
also sensitive to penicillin, which I have used in extreme cases. Q
recommends cleaning the area, scrubbing with betadine, applying Desitin and
KEEPING IT DRY.  Libby