Re: Vaccinations & travel

April Lee wrote:
>   My question leans specifically to what shots (if any) are
> REQUIRED by ride management at the rides?  I know negative coggins is
> required, but what about vaccinations?  Do you have to carry proof of
> vaccination?

Actually, ALL of that is up to the individual ride manager.  Yes, most
do ask for a negative coggins in our area.  Some even require proof of
vaccination for rabies in outbreak areas since the vets are putting
their hands in a lot of equine mouths.  As far as I remember, there is
no AERC rule pertaining to this.  I'd like to see my horses protected
from the deadly diseases (I've seen horses die from encephalitis aka
sleeping sickness - not pretty).  There are some on the list who don't
believe in vaccination at all.  Individual choices.

OTOH - interstate travel is a whole 'nuther story!  Each state has it's
own immunization requirements and regulations as to how long the coggins
is good for (anything from 6 mos to 1 yr is what I've encountered).  You
MUST have health papers on your horse for interstate travel, and in some
states out west you need brand inspection as well.  If you are stopped &
you don't have these papers, you may face a fine & may have your animals
impounded.  My vet checks the requirements for the states we will travel
thru, documents what is required for each state, examines the horse for
signs of illness, checks a temp, then files this with the state, the
owner, and the person at your destination.

It's a bit of a pain, but you really don't want to be caught without
it.   Health papers are typically good for 30 days. I understand that
there are a few states that will do offer papers for longer periods to
certain neighboring states.  Ask your vet.

I hope that this helps.

Linda Flemmer