Re: Cattle Ivermectin pour-on

In a message dated 2/10/99 8:38:56 AM Pacific Standard Time, stepnout@swva.net
writes:

<< Curious if anyone else does it like this, and if anyone has had adverse
 effects. I've been told it gets rid of external parasites like lice, too.
 Come to think of it, I've seen dead ticks on the tail, but don't know if
 that's the reason.

No, I haven't heard of people using the pour-on on horses, so can't address
the pros and cons of it, but would just comment that the oral ivermectin also
kills external parasites if dosed correctly, and that the liquid form of it is
also considerably cheaper than the paste, as well as easier to dose to weight.
Eqvalan comes in a liquid form, and now also has a liquid competitor called
ProMectin that is even less expensive.

Heidi Smith, DVM