Re: RC: Working heart rates and recoveries

>I condition with a heart rate monitor.  During conditioning rides, I
>noticed that the mare consistently runs 30 beats hig=
>her than the gelding while at work I=>t is nearly impossible to get him
over 200 when he is in condition.  >They are both on the same
conditioning scheadule of about 200 miles in >a two week period,

Cathy,

I'm confused by several things in your post.  First, these horses are
five year olds, so though the gelding was ridden some last year, you're
really just getting down to business...yet you're riding them 200 miles
every 2 weeks?  Assuming you give them 2 off days a week (which I would
consider the minimum desirable) that's still 20 miles a day!

Second, why would you have a 5 year old that you're just starting on in
the 200 bpm range?  The only way I've found to get any of my horses over
200 is to sprint up long ridges.  I would think you'd be doing most of
your training right now under 150..remember train bones first, then
ligaments and tendons, *then* the muscles (heart).

Finally, are you sure your heart monitor is giving you decent readings?
Back when I used a heart monitor, when I'm rode my horse in competition
he tended to cruise down the trail pretty well in the 120's at 7mph.  We
occasionally hit 165 as he climbed a hill.   Never had a brush with 200
or even 180 without a strong effort on my part.  Lots of times when your
horse starts working hard he lifts his bottom line and you don't get a
good connection.

Someone recently (on ridecamp) commented that we're in the age of
technology or some-such and that we'll have to learn to read glucometers,
etc.  I disagree.  The human brain is an incredible machine and is
processing so much information unconciously that it's incredible.  I find
that the longer I compete, the more I go by my instincts.  Some days I
just suddenly decide to cut a workout short, or go slower...I'm not sure
why, but it feels right.   I'd much rather loan my horse to a person who
has an excellent "feel" for reading a horse, than to someone with every
bell and whistle  known to man hooked up. I agree with the vet, unplug
the heart monitor.

Angie