RE: Re: Level II Roads in our National Forests

Crockett:

I wish your version of this controversy was what I heard at the recent
meeting for the Boise National Forest. As you are familiar with this area
you might be interested to know that the only USFS designated four wheel
drive route in the Idaho City district is up over Wilson Peak. Has been for
twenty some years. This will now, if the policy is put into place, be closed
to further use! It would be considered Roadless/unroaded. With you knowledge
of the Idaho City/GardenValley area you might consider how the USFS obtained
the requisite acreage. The word is gerrymandering. It does not apply just to
voting districts! They took all the areas with out major designated routes,
came up to the borders of all mining claims and called it roadless. Remember
this area was the heart of the Idaho Gold Rush. The land was cleared of all
timber over a hundred years ago. There is no primeval forest in this area.

You state<< It is called "Cumulative Impact".  It is the driver of need to
manage the
level II roads along with the overwhelming watershed degradation that has
been brought about by the misuses of 4-wheelers.
The "Cumulative Impact" to watersheds and wildlife habitat caused by the
plethora of open roads prevents management actions in adjacent roadless
areas.>>

The Cumulative Impact will, with this proclamation, be directed to other
nearby lands increasing the use to the detriment of those lands. And this
would be beneficial??? I thought the idea was to distribute the impact to
lessen the over all effect.

In the area I mention, and of which you are knowledgeable of since you were
employed there by the USFS, The most useful and beneficial watersheds are
maintained by Boise Cascade, the next in order are those of the Idaho
Department of Lands and the last and virtually impenetrable are those of the
USFS.

Remember, Boise Cascade is now harvesting the third harvest of timber off
those lands, they are used for all types of recreation and the endurance
riders can hold rides there on. That cannot be said for the USFS holdings.

As I said, I wish we had heard what you express but it is not the way things
are going here.

Please do not take this as an attack on you as a person Crockett. It is just
what we are hearing in this area and every one up to and including the
Governor is concerned. We are the state in the lower 48 with the most to
lose!

Thanks for you information on line please keep us all informed.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID