Re: Re: Level II Roads in our National Forests

There is a rather broad array of possbilities under consideration with this
proposal. One of the options for adoption reads:

"3  Prohibiting the implementation of all activities, subject to valid
existing rights, that do not contribute to maintaining or enhancing the
ecological values of roadless areas in remaining unroaded portions of
inventoried roadless areas; and"

Valid existing rights would refer to legal easements and contracts, not the
fact that you currently ride there. While I don't consider that horse
activities particulary damaging ecological values, I would be hard pressed
to argue that they enhance them. This type of language could very well
eliminate all recreational use of these areas. It should also be noted that
the Wilderness Act requires the FS to consider historical use as a factor -
that makes it more difficult to eliminate horse use (although the party size
limits prevent endurance events). But that statutory language does not exist
for the current proposal. The FS could make the rules more restrictive than
the Wilderness rules. Under the language of option 3, the FS would not have
to cite any damage by horses, but you would need to show how horses enhance
the ecology of these areas.

Now, they may not adopt option 3 listed above, but it is on the table and
open for adoption. We need to work to be sure this doesn't happen. There are
other options on the table (including no change). Eliminating new road
construction will be to our benefit, but not if it comes in the form of
option 3.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net