Re: RC: CC and tying up

In a message dated 12/21/99 3:12:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, CMKSAGEHIL
writes:

<< <<This will enrage the academics, but it's true: if you feed a dose of
 CarboCharge or any other glycogen loader at night, the next day the horse in
 the tying-up syndrome will not tie up. Then, get some miles into the horse
on
 a daily basis and soon (within a few days) you can get off the evening dose
 entirely. >>

 Yes, it was in reply about a horse that was tying up regularly, but can also
see the same thing with calcium problems (ridecampers have mentioned multiple
cases), selenium problems (see those regularly in this area), and PSM, in
addition to carb problems.  A more responsible answer would be to get some
real data (something "substantive") on that particular horse to determine
which is the case, and treat accordingly.>

You presume that your idea is "more responsible". Of course, that's amoral
judgement. You said have said a "more complete answer" and been ls\ess pf a
frump. Still, it doesn't matter. All horses that have been handled the way I
described after entering the tying up syndrome (what we call it in racehorses
when the horse wants to tie up, sometimes day after day, at the onset of
exercise) have broken out of the syndrome--many of these were enduraance
horses.

Ideed, in the past, verterinarians of all qualificatins have prescrivbed
E,SE, Calcium gluconate, potassium chloride, reduced energy intake, reduced
exercise etc. mostly to no avail. My outlined protocol, stumbled upon by
accident by someone other than me, appears to work every time. There is the
possibility that it won't work some time. In that case, you'll win $100 from
me instantly. Again, would you care to put your knowledge, and cash, on the
line in this regard? Or would you simply wish to appear "more responsible" in
suggesting a month's worth of testing and soothsaying and subsequent trail
and error with all the old semi-scientific standby solutions?

>  I don't doubt that you will help horse #3 there, but horses 1, 2, and 4
could be made clinically worse.

 Heidi >>

How do you know that? Since you're not relying on hard science here, you're
extrapolating your limited, and very generalized understandings of the
1,3,and 4 problems into a circumstance you've never, ever tried.

ti