Re:Anterior enteritis/Christmas. Was: water weight

>Classic breakdown occurs in anterior enteritis, when the movement of
>nutrients, etc., from the small intestine ceases, and you can run fluids IV
>in by the truckload, and drain them all out the nose via a nasogastric tube
>as they reflux back into the stomach.  Wanna see some fluid crossing
>membranes?  You can drain off several gallons per hour in a really nasty
>case...

	God, please don't remind me. We're approaching the anniversary of my
senior year Christmas eve in the LAH. 6 count 'em 6 enteritis cases, this
before the advent of big bags of fluid--we had liter bags and those
obnoxious little pumps. Start at one end of the ward, run in fluids and
reflux out down the line, run to isolation, gown up and treat those horses,
disinfect, and back to the beginning again. Like painting the Golden Gate
bridge.
	My S.O., feeling sorry for us, brought me and my partner on the medicine
service Chinese food. We sat on cases of LRS in the aisle and ate lo mein
while watching "It's A Wonderful Life" on a little TV with a coathanger
antenna. Michelle paused to reflux one of the horses, and Bob asked me what
the hell was going on (his back was turned). I told him if he wanted to
keep eating, not to turn around.
	Did I mention that two of them were on DMSO? So the smell was pervasive.
	Later that night, Michelle's mother called. Christmas Eve was a big deal
at her house, so her mother started  to cry because Michelle wasn't there,
and Michelle started to cry...I snuck out to my truck and grabbed the
string of Christmas lights I'd bought, wrapped up in them, stole the 100'
extension cord from the sprtsmedicine clinic, plugged in, and started
making my way up the asile, doing the 11 PM meds. I was halfway up the
asile before Michelle noticed I was blinking.

	Every year I get a card from her reminding me of the light incident...
Most yars I remember to bring a food basket over for the poor students
working on Christmas Day.
				--CMN