Re: RC: trade show 'donation'

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:55:48 EST, Merryben@aol.com wrote:

>Here we go again.  The WE against the AERC as a living breathing entity which
>you seem to think is out to gouge everyone and has a board that only votes in
>stupid things that cost the poor members money.  What a crock!

No, but when the Board votes in stupid fees that cost the poor riders
money, people get upset.

>Well you do know the answer to that one.  Vote for someone else or better yet
>run yourself.  We genuinely try to do our best and after every meeting get
>totally blasted.  The AERC, the board and now poor Doyle are always the
>adversaries.  I don't much care to burn 3 days vacation, a couple of hundred
>for a hotel room, $400 to 500.00 for air fare and a weekend of getting
>someone to babysit my dogs, fish, cats and horses to get complained at.  And
>this is twice a year, although the plane fare to Reno is a lot cheaper for me
>but not for the board members on the east coast.  I chose to run for the
>board and am not complaining about the money, just pointing out a fact you
>all might have missed.

I spent 14 years on the Board and I know how much it costs in time and
money.  That doesn't make Directors immune from criticism, though.
When you make mistakes, expect to take the heat or "get out of the
kitchen."

This could have been averted if you'd put the question out before the
members and given us a chance to comment *before* voting it in.

>I am sorry, but $5.00 is not that much.

AAAAAUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!   That's not the point!!!!!!  It all adds
up!!!!!!  But mainly, it's the issue of the INappropriateness of
charging people to go in to access vendors who have already paid for
the booths.  That's unfair both to the vendors who are paying much of
the cost of the Convention, and the casual buyers who would like to
sample their wares but don't want to register for the Convention
itself.  Something most trade show organizers recognize (which is why
typically, trade shows that sell products at conventions are open free
to the public).

>I also don't agree with Doyle a lot, but I think he is doing a hell of a job
>and any of you who don't think so, should visit the office sometime.  And
>don't email me to tell me you live too far away.  I know some do.

I don't agree.  He may be a good organizer, but he doesn't treat
people fairly.  I for one would like to see him replaced ASAP!  That
is, FIRED!!!  I lay much of the change of the AERC from a
member-oriented organization to what it's becoming at his feet.

>The bottom line is that if you don't like the way things are run, vote
>someone else in or run yourselves.  I have been riding endurance for 26 years
>and I can guarantee you that it won't change anything.

I'm seriously considering running for the Board again.  I disagree
that it won't change anything.  During my tenure before I saw a lot of
change,  most of it for the good, and I believe I played a pivotal
role in bringing some of it about.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net