From: guest@endurance.net <guest@endurance.net>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Date: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 2:39 PM
Subject: RC: '95 Dodge Trucks (Warning)

John Bass SH Boomer @aol.com
I have a '95 Dodge 3500 dually with the Cummins diesel. Love it with the
exception of one thing. On this model the throttle has a return spring that
if it breaks or becomes disconnected the vehicle goes into full throttle. I
know this from experience, on a trip to Montana a couple of years ago I
crested a hill between Three Forks going into Whitehall, I was pulling a
three horse trailer, had a cab over camper on and my 12 year old daughter
with me. As I crested the hill and started down I was in full throttle, the
hill was a 6% grade for three miles and curves to boot. I tried to tap the
brakes as I thought that the cruise control had stuck. That didn't work. I
gained speed rapidly and tried to brake but knew I would just run through
the brakes on both the truck and trailer, I considered turning the key off
but didn't know the consequences, rather the steering wheel would lock up or
not. So I just concentrated on trying to keep the truck on the road . Once I
got on the flat I turned the key off and coasted to the side of the rode. I
found that this little spring had came off a bracket and was just hanging
there. Didn't know excatly where the spring went so I just rigged it up to
work.  The next day in Missolua a bought a new spring for $1.59, the dealer
didn't have the time to show me how to install it so I ended up at a
Cummin's dealer for help. The kicker is that Dodge is aware of this problem
but have never had a recall.  Some '95 models and beyond have a different
throttle system.  If you have this model it may be worth your time to check
it out. I have secured the spring on mine so it won't slip off again but if
it breaks I'll be back in the same situation.  Hopefully I won't have my
daughter with me. John

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net,
http://www.endurance.net.