'95 Dodge Trucks (Warning)

John Bass SH Boomer @aol.com
I have a '95 Dodge 3500 dually with the Cummins diesel. Love it with the exception of one thing. On this model the throttle has a return spring that if it breaks or becomes disconnected the vehicle goes into full throttle. I know this from experience, on a trip to Montana a couple of years ago I crested a hill between Three Forks going into Whitehall, I was pulling a three horse trailer, had a cab over camper on and my 12 year old daughter with me. As I crested the hill and started down I was in full throttle, the hill was a 6% grade for three miles and curves to boot. I tried to tap the brakes as I thought that the cruise control had stuck. That didn't work. I gained speed rapidly and tried to brake but knew I would just run through the brakes on both the truck and trailer, I considered turning the key off but didn't know the consequences, rather the steering wheel would lock up or not. So I just concentrated on trying to keep the truck on the road . Once I got on the flat I turned the key off and coasted to the side of the rode. I found that this little spring had came off a bracket and was just hanging there. Didn't know excatly where the spring went so I just rigged it up to work.  The next day in Missolua a bought a new spring for $1.59, the dealer didn't have the time to show me how to install it so I ended up at a Cummin's dealer for help. The kicker is that Dodge is aware of this problem but have never had a recall.  Some '95 models and beyond have a different throttle system.  If you have this model it may be worth your time to check it out. I have secured the spring on mine so it won't slip off again but if it breaks I'll be back in the same situation.  Hopefully I won't have my daughter with me. John

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-