Re: one of your type discussions on ridecamp now

Michael forwarded this post to me for comment, so I'll wrestle with it.
Forgive me, Beth--it won't be an attack--your thoughts are, as always, very
good and very clear.

<<
 Hi Sue,
 The quitting described, just slowing down
 suddenly and refusing to "race" does sound like an energy source
 problem.  As a matter of fact it sounds remarkably like "bonking" or
 "hitting the wall" which is seen in humans during long duration
 exercise.  Although blood sugar may be low, or may be low- normal,
 blood sugar is not the fundemental culprit.  Blood sugar provides some
 of the carbhohydrate for higher intensity exercise, but most of the
 carbs are coming from the glycogen stored within the muscle itself.
 When this energy tank is depleted the exerciser must rely pretty much
 entirely on fats, which are not preferred by the fast twitch fibers
 and which is supplied more slowly.  When glycogen in the active
 muscle is gone, exercise intensity MUST decrease dramatically,
 typically to a walk or slow jog.  Glycogen is depleted more quickly
 when high intensity exercise is engaged in;  the scenario you
 describe fits this theory.  The horse is racing hard, is up-front,
 and then slows because it has blown through the available carbs. >

Let me add that there is increasing regard for the concept of Central Fatigue
under circumstances like those outlined above. One of the endurance horses I
was working with recently "bonked" toward the end of a very hard test at
110K. Just. Stopped. We took bloods on all the horses post race and this one
had the lowest blood glucose of all, 57, and thereafter displayed a 41,000
CPK--astronomical! Clearly, he had been burning muscle, and maybe was into
malignant hyperthermia. Still, his low glucose would have thrown him into
Central Fatigue.

Central Fatigue is still being studied, but it appears that bothe muscle
temperature and low blood glucose are two key factors. When the CNS feels
threatened by low blood glucose, it shuts down muscle activity. .

 >One solution might be to set a pace that the horse can maintain,
 rather than going out too hard.  Pace.  Pace. Pace.  Crucial in
 maintaining glycogen.  [I once described this to a friend who worked
 in marketing.  Her astute - and correct- interpretation was "oh, you
 mean when you run too fast you poop out early".   Well, yes.]>

Agreed.

  > The more fit the individual the less carbohydrate used for any
 given workload, just as more fit individuals will have a lower heart
 rate for a given speed.  Really fit horses can maintain those top
 speeds because they are using a higher proportion of fats, and less
 carb, to get the work done. >

I would wrestle with you here. As usual, my best, most honest, most informed
advice is: forget fat! If you're down to fat in a race, you're into metabolic
quicksand. You're also burning muscle along with the fat.

> In humans, exercise at higher speeds can
 be greatly extended by giving carb during exercise.  Why?  Because
 you are giving an outside source of readily available energy as the
 muscle is contracting, thus sparing its own limited carbohydrate
 stores.  We, therefore,  provide sport drinks with a small amount of
 sugar in them to extend exercise.  Small amounts of sugar or sugar
 in water might also be an option for horses as long as it is given
 once the exercise has begun.  Although sugar does trigger insulin,
 exercise is a powerful suppressor of insulin, at least in other
 animal models, and typically can be given in moderate amounts
 during exercise with good results.>

Don't worry about insulin, either. It's your friend. It moves the glucose
into the muscle as glycogen. Just focus on maintaining elevated levels of
blood glucose and all else will follow.

 >    Probably the best solution to this problem is multifaceted:
 bring the horse into the event well trained, thus sparing the use of
 glycogen at any absolute work load;  make sure the horse is rested
 and "tanked up" the week prior to the race [well fed while
 exercise is tapered off just prior to racing = carbo loading], and
 hope that the horse eats well during the event; ride the horse
 according to it's ability and current level of fitness, pacing as
 evenly as possible.>

Yes

>As Heidi and Steph also mentioned low blood
 sugar may have been triggered by giving large amounts of sugars,
 particularly during a hold when insulin levels are no longer
 suppresed.  The insulin may kick in to lower blood
 glucose just as the horse is beginning to exercise, thus providing
 too much of a drain on blood sugar:  the result is called reactive
 hypoglycemia, as the levels drop well below normal.  >

Timing is everything. You want to know your horses glucose response curve.
Insulin responds directly to blood sugar levels. If there is no elevated
blood sugar, there is no insulin production. However, most horses will
demonstrate a peak blood glucose at 2 hours after ingesting a fast acting
carbohydrate. If you delay refurbishing blood sugar much beyond that point,
you'll find yourself in the middle of a sugar crash--with subsequent reduced
performance.

Again, dworry about insulin, worry about keeping an elevated blood glucose.
The insulin is there for a purpose, it's not Public Enemy Number One.

 >Just some thoughts,

 Beth
 and Klass Act

Love you, Beth.