Straw construction

We live in a straw bale house (unfinished).  Have some friends who built
a loafing shed and a straw bale barn the latter  can hold several tons
of hay, and has a tack area plus 2 stalls.  It is gorgeous, altho also
unfinished.  Once you get the chickenwire over the bales, you can even
let your horses around it - they aren't much interested in straw vs real
food, and don't bother the bales.  The "feel" of straw bale constructed
buildings is really nice, the R-value is extremely high, and once it is
plastered, you literally can't burn one down (I suppose you could burn
the roof, tho) , which for hay storage is a nice point.  We have a sort
of online construction journal of the trials & tribulations while
building our place.  Go to http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/1105/
Maybe the next time we're at our friend's place, I'll take some photos
of their cool barn. Lif
--
Lif & Paul Strand   STRAND ENTERPRISES   www.fasterhorses.com