Re: Cost of euthanasia

katswig@deltanet.com writes:

> Just last month a friend of mine paid $160 for euthanasia (included the
>  call charge) + $80 to have the horse hauled off after it was dead.
>
>  Not outrageously expensive, but not cheap either.
>
>  To have it hauled off from my place, assuming that it was at the barn
>  would be (I did check) $400...my barn is a bit remote.  When a horse had
>  to be put down because of a fall off of my "driveway" in a riding accident
>  (broken back) cost $1,000 to be hauled off (because the first guy couldn't
>  get the horse out of the ditch--only 15' deep).
>
>  Were the horse to need to be removed from my pasture (instead of my barn),
>  again the cost could approach $1,000.
>
>  Burying the horse with a back hoe would be equally as expensive.
>
>  Does this answer your question?
>
>  kat
>  Orange County, Calif.
>  Kat,

Dear Kat,

I guess we are lucking in Shelby County, Tennessee.  If the horse looks like
it died of naturaly causes, as in not shot, the county hauls it off for free,
otherwise, it is about $100.

I just checked with my vet and they charge $35 to euthanize a horse.  The trip
fee will be an extra $25.

As it happens a friend is putting down her 30 y.o. Arab mare today.  She will
have a backhoe dig a grave first.  That will cost will be between $75 and
$100.

Prices really depend on where in the country one lives.  I'd say here in
Tennessee we have it pretty good.

Ellen
Memphis