Re: Cost of euthanasia

In a message dated 2/5/99 1:00:50 AM EST, GESAHORSFX@aol.com writes:

<<
 One of my neighbors had cancer.  She decided that her 19 yr old and 10 yr old
 arab mares should be put down after she died.  All of us were appalled at the
 fact that a local veterinarian actually did the deed.  These were beautiful
 and perfectly healthy mares.  Both were gentle and broke to ride.  My
neighbor
 wasnt really thinking very well the last few months of her life.  I could not
 believe that anyone took her seriously.  I offered to find the mares homes.
 She said she would think about it.  Apparently she didnt think too hard.  I
 will never forgive the vet who did the euthanization.  I do not use him for
 other reasons,  this just confirmed my judgement of him.  The vet who refused
 to put down eamules stud horse had $$$ signs in his head just as this jerk
 did.  If you all have a vet that actually likes horses,  keep 'em  they are
 probably good ones.

Euthanazia is really a wonderful thing.....when you need it.  My basic
feelings are that euthanazia is NOT cruel, it's a prick of a needle to the
horse.  The two mares mentioned above were not cruelly dealt with, IMO.  It
was a waste of good horses, yes, but not cruel.  Each to his own, I suppose is
how I feel.  We do not always know all about someone's intentions or
reasoning.  She MAY have felt that this was the only way to insure these mares
were never mistreated.????
Leigh