Re: bogs

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:27:49 -0600, "Louise D Burton"
<FIREDANCEFARMS@prodigy.net> wrote:

>(This is not in reference to Scott's post about HOW to avoid the bogs, but
>about the post on why management didn't do something about it)

Indeed.  A very similar situation occured in the SE several years ago.
Ride management at a well established ride built a new (and much
nicer) base camp and new trail to access it.  There were torrential
rains the night before the ride, and the new trail developed  some bad
bogs.  Even though ride management re-routed immediately, several
riders complained to the SERA and a serious rift, with a lot of bad
feelings, developed.   AFAIK that ride is no longer being held.

Part of the complaints about the ride were that the ride manager had a
bad attitude.  Well, if  you had worked your butt off to get a new
trail ready in time, and Mother Nature wrecked your efforts, how would
you feel if riders whined to *you*?  I wish the RM had been more
diplomatic, but I can't really blame him for being put out.  Others
did, though, which worsened the rift.

This was particularly an issue with me because it was a ride I
founded, back in 1980, although I had turned it over to others to
manage in recent years.  Oh, well, the people who didn't like that new
trail now have no ride there at all.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net