Re: In favor of Paring

At 08:22 PM 01/02/1999 -0500, Angela C. McGhee wrote:
>O.K. I'll be the devil's advocate.  I have a wonderful farrier who does a
>great job, but since I'd heard everyone talk so much about this paring
>thing, last fall I asked him to "not pare away the sole".  Well, he
>studied a little and said,"It's got to go down some for me to trim the
>wall."  Remember now...up to this point I'd had NO problems, and I ride
>on some of the rockiest places around.  I quickly said, "Never mind, do
>what you always do," but he said he'd see what he could do.
>
> What I got was a set of shoes that lasted 4 weeks before they were too
>long instead of 6.  We clicked and clacked the whole 50 miles at the
>Mountin' Hopes ride.  People were looking back constantly to see if it
>was their horse.  Drove everybody crazy.  From now on I'll keep my mouth
>shut and not fix what ain't broke, no matter what's the hot topic of the
>day is.  By the way, he keeps those frogs pretty too, and we haven't had
>thrush either.
>
>Angie

OK devil's spokeswoman, we're gonna have to have a rocky terrain
champeenship over this one.  Our farrier does not pare away the soles, our
ROCKS do it!  There's nothing left to pare away after the pounding of the
rocks on those soles. If you have sole growing out your rocks aren't brutal
enough. If our farrier went ahead and pared any more sole away for
appearances sake, we'd have mighty footsore horses pretty quick.

Having said that, it's obvious that there's a wide range of terrain that we
ride on in the various regions, so paring the sole may be more appropriate
in some places than others. I guess if we ask our farriers "why", we can
all make reasoned decisions. 'Because it looks better', or because 'I've
always done it that way' are not good enough reasons - but Angie's
farrier's reason sounds good enough to me.

Brenda