Re: paring down the sole...

> We are so fortunate that our farrier has done some endurance riding.  He
> NEVER pares away the sole of our horses feet. We ride in very rocky
> territory and we truly believe (rightly or wrongly!) that any extra
> protection that can be left on the feet is helpful. Makes sense to us.
> Brenda

Whether your farrier has done endurance riding or not, paring the sole &
frog depends on the horse as well as the environment in which he lives and
carries you around. Down here in the swamplands, all types of fungus
attack the horses feet pretty much year-round.  Keeping the frogs & soles
"clean" without minimal loose pieces hanging around and uneven texture,
etc. reduces the places where these fungi can grow and damage the hoof. In
fact, on my farrier's recommendation, I now keep a hoof knife in my
grooming bag and often "clean up" Lakota's feet myself in between
shoeings.  His feet are in *much* better condition now than they were
before I started this practice.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310