paring down the sole...

>>>Next, my husband pares down the sole also... it is not always
necessarily hard.
It softens and flakes off and sometimes there's a lot of it there that doesn't
need to be... it depends on the horse... >>

We are so fortunate that our farrier has done some endurance riding.  He
NEVER pares away the sole of our horses feet. We ride in very rocky
territory and we truly believe (rightly or wrongly!) that any extra
protection that can be left on the feet is helpful. Makes sense to us.
Brenda