Paring down the sole and frog

My farrier has been good about shortening my gelding's toes at my request,
but I'm concerned about this "paring" business.  I generally cannot be
present when my horse is done, but it's obvious that his frogs have been
trimmed.  Don't know whether that's true of the soles as well -- would it
be equally obvious?

Since my horse is rather ouchy on gravel (though rocky trails don't seem to
bother him), should I insist that the farrier leave his frogs alone?

Cindy Eyler
Baltimore