Re: RC: Peruvian Pasos...was Oooooooops

>I think it is time to start really thinking again about our posts....are
>they endurance related or not?  I have spent a lot of time lately reading
>stuff here that although I may enjoy some of it....has nothing to do with
>our sport.  Conversations about racism and barn cats and hunting, etc. may
>be important issues but maybe they could be done privately?  Just a
>thought.  While we are at it, here is a question from my husband... he just
>started doing some Peruvian Pasos for a client who also has a Tennesee
>Walker.  He is just wondering if anyone out there who HAS the PPs has any
>thoughts about trimming or shoeing for these horses.  We were told that in
>the show ring, they are to exhibit a "swimming" kind of motion with their
>gait.  Nelson trimmed and balanced them and evened up their length of toe
>and angles (every single foot was different!).  But he thought someone with
>experience with this breed might offer some insight.  This guy likes to
>trail ride (as long as it doesn't hurt his hiney) and we are trying to talk
>him into trying some CTR or endurance.  Thanks for any help!
>
>Maggie Mieske

I compete my PPs in NATRC CTRs and AERC LDs (hope for my first 50 this
spring), with 1710 career miles on my older gelding and a few hundred on
each of his sisters. The swimming motion you refer to is called termino and
it is natural to each horse.  It differs from winging or paddling in that
the hoof lands square -- it is not a defect, nor does it transmit uneven
forces up the leg.

I have been blessed with a series of farriers through the years who do good
balanced trims -- they are breed blind when they do their work (my current
farrier also does some endurance Arabs and stock horses, and uses the same
principles of balancing for each horse).  Hence, my horses have good heel,
not under-run; and short toes in balance with the rest of the foot.  The
angles are consistent with the shoulder and pastern angle, and are
different for each horse.  The hooves are balanced laterally, of course.

Since NATRC had its shoeing rules when I started in the sport in 1988 I got
used to using plain 8 ounce steel rim shoes, and my PPs have done well with
them;  that's what we continue to use for the trail horses.  The rest of my
herd just goes barefoot in a 4 acre rocky field and the proof of Jason's
good trimming for balance is that the hoof wear on the horses at liberty is
very even (ie., they take care of their own feet nicely) and I've never had
to deal with a stone bruise or abcess.

Feel free to give your client my email addy if he has any questions about
using his horse in CTR or endurance -- the more the merrier!

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky