Angie's Hay rope dolls

Angie McGhee Rides2far@juno.com
O.K. I've gotten several requests, so in the interest of cheap Christmas presents, which means more money for endurance (so I'm on topic >g<) here they are:

Hay Rope Dolls:

Step One:  Cut four 12" pieces of hay rope.

Step Two:  Put the 4 pieces together, make sure the ends are even and then using sewing thread, bind them together tightly in the center.  I simply hold the four pieces tightly, then wrap the thread round and round about 10 times, then tie a knot.

Step Three:  Unravel the all the ropes, right up to the thread.

Step Four.  Fold in half so that the bound thread is at the top, then  wrap tightly with thread about 1" from the top.  (This will be the neck).

Step Five.  Wrap tightly again about 1" below the neck, this will be the waist.

Step Six.  (Optional)  If you want the doll to be a male, separate the "skirt" in half, and bind with thread at what would be the ankle.  If the doll is female, leave the lower half loose to be the dress.

Step Seven:  Take three 6" pieces of hay rope and wrap with thread about 3/8" from one end.  Then braid the ropes tightly, and wrap again at the other end.  This will be both arms.

Step Eight:  Place the braid (arms) centered at the neck level.  Take thread and wrap over one shoulder, cross the chest and under the other arm in a diagonal motion and then up the back and back around the shoulder,round and round. Then do the same the over and under the other arm.   (you know, like cross your heart support >g<) then tie.

If you like, you can cut an apron out of scrap cloth to tie on the girl.  I have made little wrap around overalls out of old denim for the men, and added details with a marker.  If you like, it's easy to make little brooms with sticks and hay rope, I've carved fiddles for the men and made little axes.  You can get carried away if you like.  I learned to braid around wire, sew the braids together, and make rocking chairs, sleighs, buggies, you name it.  Won a few awards in art shows with the buggy.

Angie (with my fifth load of pine in the truck, and a student bringing a leaf blower to clean the room tomorrow...really!)

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-