RE: Re: RE: Different milage buckets - end of topic

Welllll! Here I go again to set the scene for a real flaming that will no
doubt become a real life cremation!

The American Dream is to denigrate and to dilute every thing they set their
hands on to the base of mediocrity. We at one time expected to educate our
children to the best of their ability. I now see our schools being dumbed
down to the lowest common denominator.

I see the expectation that many people want to do the same with endurance
riding. In the beginning, and this is supported by the original By-laws, the
definition of endurance was set at 50 miles or more. This was not done on
the spur of the moment. The capability of doing 100 miles in one day was a
goal that was really up in the then known limits. 50 miles in 12 hours was
an attainable goal for some persons, but not all persons, at the time it was
established as the lower limit for distance to count. It was considered a
goal that could be attained with a lot of hard work and a modicum of luck!

Now, with the improvements in conditioning, training, nutrition, saddles and
tack, shoeing and the use of extensive crews, not to mention the easier
trails being laid out, 50 miles is quite easily attainable by the rankest of
beginners.

So what do some persons desire, make it easier to become an endurance rider
and lower the statutory basement to 25 miles. I call this DUMBING DOWN.

Now realize, I am riding a lot of LD these days for many reasons. Among them
are young, just beginning horses and old, getting worn out body. (been off
to many of those young horses too). I AM NOT DOING ENDURANCE RIDES WHEN I
RIDE LD!  But I have just as much fun, train just as hard, drive as many
miles to rides and do not bitch about not getting my miles recorded as
endurance miles. I am afraid that egos are at the bottom of this entire
question.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID