Containment

Dyane Smith wrote:

> Bobbie,
> A riveting and terrifying story!  How do you secure your horses to avoid
> this sort of thing?  Double tie like Teddy or something else?

First, we're very aware of *where* we strike camp and how far away the
neighbors are. Sometimes it's worth walking a little further to be away
from the crowd. At Manzanita, we camped under a grove of nice shade
trees -- far from the central camp area but still close enough to the
Porta-Potties <g>. We set up the electric fence around the trees and
didn't leave the horses unattended. That night, we tied Dan to the
trailer and left April in the pen where they seemed most content. The
following night, when both were more laid-back and sleepy from the day's
efforts, we left them both out all night.

I'm really beginning to like the new Trailor Tie systems...the horses
seem secure, yet have quite a bit of room to move around. Picket lining
is another good option combining freedom of movement and security. I've
even been known to picket *inside* of an electric fence!!  No matter
what system you choose, try to use your trailer, truck and tent (or
whatever else you have) as a three-sided barrier to keep your horse
"enclosed" and discourage wandering critters from invading your space
(including wildlife). Also -- consider the campground location.
Obviously, if it's near a busy road, you need to be extra careful. Some
camps have internal gates that can be closed at night. This is ideal --
like wearing a belt with suspenders. Redundant systems are good! ;-)

And if you're not happy with the way things look, MOVE to another spot.

Bobbie (amazed at how Calif. horses camp in such close proximity and
mostly seem to get along so well!)