Re: RC: BC vs. first (and arrogant oldies)

Brava, Karen!  It's hard enough to put together a season on a horse,
I admire the riders who do it ride after ride, and how it's so
obvious that the team is enjoying itself.

I was just thinking tonight (before getting home and reading
Ridecamp) about what I like most about this sport.  I concluded that
besides the wonderful partnership built with one's mount, what
appeals to me is how there's *always* something "else" to strive for.
If you're doing 25s, then 50s.  If 50s, maybe a two day 100.  Maybe
doing a 50 faster.  And going longer yet, perhaps, if the horse is
ready.  Or a 5 day multi-day...

I was so stoked when I heard from Randy Eiland that he was gonna
offer daily LDs on his relocated Renegade ride next year; the
incredibly appealing idea of being able to see beautiful country on
multiple days within the constraints of my still-healing neck and my
horse's ability, when I thought I'd have to be able to do multiday
50s to do that.  (And I immediately started talking my friends near
and far about meeting me there to ride together, also attractive.)

On the LD rides, I'm really torn about how to handle/view BC.  As a
ride manager, I like to recognize BC to 5th place, across the entire
field of LD riders.  We did it this year based on overall impression,
rather than weighting and totalling vet scores like my unofficial RM
mentor does.

As a competitor, somebody who bounces back and forth between LD and
50s, I like having the BC to "shoot for" if I'm riding LD, though we
have other things like time goals, performance on certain terrain,
etc..  Within our history together since her purchase as a 2 yr old,
in her third competition, my horse got 1st BC at the first Warner
Springs ride for maxing her weighted vet scores, I felt great about
that.  6 months later, at her 4th ride, where we were hoping it was
her last LD before moving to 50s, she looked great after the 30 mile
finish, like she hadn't gone anywhere, finished 2nd (the first time
not somewhere between middle of the pack and the back) and the ride
management continued their practice of not offering BC at their rides
for LD.  I have to admit it, I was disappointed, and feel that BC
should be awarded to a horse doing LD unless the vets feel that no
horses qualified.

At a recent LD, ride mgmt limited the BC consideration "field" to the
first 20 finishers.  I didn't like asking at the finish line where we
finished, because I usually only care about time goals, and finding
it was around 25th "place" or so, and feeling a bit disappointed
because my horse had gotten such great scores all day, we'd been
"aced" out--AND feeling weird about that *mattering* at all, that I
should even care about vet scores as long as my horse was doing well.
I don't like the idea of nitpicking vet scores, and try to see the
same vet all day.

As the line went in "the King and I", "it's a puzzlement!"

Lynne

Ontario, CA  http://www.lynnesite.com
Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) 9/2/00
and Rem-member Me, Celesteele