Re: RC: RE: Buying a horse/WARNING

I responded to this but want to again.  It would seem that she did not leave
a deposit although she did not say so.  If she left a deposit and had a
contract in writing - she would win in court.  That easy. But new buyers
come in all varieties.  I have sold horses on a handshake and try to do the
honorable  thing.  If I am offered more before the deal closes - I will tell
the buyer.  If they are good clients and a handshake is worth more than the
paper we did not write it on - the deal is as solid as rock.  Some buyers
are fickle and would make an offer than weasel out for another (better,
cheaper, taller, etc) horse.  That is when you need good judgement of
people.  It is the price of doing business.  Now I would call "Jouneegirl"
initiated into the world of buying and selling.  Not just horses.

At 11:41 AM 10/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Rule number one -
>In my book, there is NO agreement unless it is written, signed, and a
>deposit left.  (Yes, I know that oral agreements can be binding, but they
>are as easy to prove as the paper they aren't written on.)  Did you take
>these steps?  How would you prove that you had a prior agreement to purchase
>the animal?  Use good business sense.
>Rule number two - all involved should be honest about the animal & any
>deals.
>
>What you describe is not the norm, but look from the seller's viewpoint.
>You vetted the horse, but didn't leave any deposit.  No contract. (Right?)
>How is the seller to know that the deal will go through when someone with
>ready cash steps forward for the animal.
>
>If you had a written contract, you have the option to sue for breech...
>Contact your lawyer for info on the steps involved.  This is a business
>transaction & should be treated as one.
>
>Linda Flemmer
>Blue Wolf Ranch
>Bruceton Mills, WV

signed, and a deposit left.&nbsp; (Yes, I know that oral agreements can be
binding, but they are as easy to prove as the paper they aren't written
on.)&nbsp; Did you take these steps?&nbsp; How would you prove that you had
a prior agreement to purchase the animal?&nbsp; Use good business
sense.</FONT></P>

><P><FONT SIZE=2>Rule number two - all involved should be honest about the
animal &amp; any deals. </FONT>
></P>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>What you describe is not the norm, but look from the
seller's viewpoint.&nbsp; You vetted the horse, but didn't leave any
deposit.&nbsp; No contract. (Right?)&nbsp;&nbsp; How is the seller to know
that the deal will go through when someone with ready cash steps forward for
the animal.</FONT></P>

><P><FONT SIZE=2>If you had a written contract, you have the option to sue
for breech...&nbsp; Contact your lawyer for info on the steps
involved.&nbsp; This is a business transaction &amp; should be treated as
one.</FONT></P>

HREF="mailto:Journeegirl@aol.com">mailto:Journeegirl@aol.com</A>]</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 11:04 AM</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>To: ridecamp@endurance.net</FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Subject: RC: Buying a horse/WARNING</FONT>
></P>
><BR>
>
><P><FONT SIZE=2>I recently called one of the ads in ridecamp and was one of
the first people </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>to reach the owner.&nbsp; I asked about the horse, TY is
his name and he sounded </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>like what I was looking for. The next step of course was
to have him vetted </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>which took another 5-6 days to organize due to the fact
that she lives out in </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>Darby, Montana. The vet had to travel 90 miles to get
there.&nbsp; The horse </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>vetted out and, not perfect but issues I could live
with.&nbsp; So I told the </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>owner Jill Matyac that I wanted the horse and would send a
check ASAP.( In </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>the meantime I had a few other prospects that I had been
in the process of </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>condsidering and told those owners that I had already
found a horse.)She had </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>mentioned that there were others that had called and were
also interested. I </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>reiterated that I wanted the horse and that once she
received the check and </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>coggins to let me know.&nbsp; In the meantime I was
looking for a shipper to pick </FONT>
@ 1.00 a mile. Two days </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>later I received a call from Jill that she changed her
mind. Instead of being </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>honest and telling me that someone offered her more money
she choose to lie </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>instead and just blow me off.&nbsp; The vet called me and
told me that someone </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>else had called him about the vetting I had ordered.&nbsp;
He gave them the </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>information! He said he thought that Jill and I had a deal
and that he did </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>not think it would matter.&nbsp; When I told him that Jill
was selling the horse </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>to someone else for more money and how upset I was he
admitted that he had </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>made a mistake in giving out the information on the horse
and how sorry he </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>was.&nbsp; So, is this how horse people are in the
endurance world?Buying a horse </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>is a time consuming ordeal and when you finally found a
horse that you want, </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>think you have a deal only to have the rug pulled out from
under you because </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>some&nbsp; other person offers more money knowing that a
deal had been made is so </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>out of line.&nbsp; I have never had an experience such as
this and I have bought </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>many horses over the years!&nbsp; It seems that Jill and
her boyfriend will gather </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>buyers and make a deal then simply sell to anyone with the
higher bid. How </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>unethical are people willing to be?Apparently these two
people will stop at </FONT>
><BR><FONT SIZE=2>nothing for a few more bucks! BE FORWARNED!&nbsp; </FONT>
></P>
><BR>
>
><P><FONT
SIZE=2>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
</FONT>
HREF="http://www.endurance.net"
TARGET="_blank">http://www.endurance.net</A>.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT>
HREF="http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp"
TARGET="_blank">http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp</A>&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT>
><BR><FONT
SIZE=2>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
</FONT>
></P>
>
></BODY>
></HTML>
Nancy DuPont, Executive Director
Heritage Trails
1350 Castle Rock Road
Walnut Creek, CA 94598

Our Mission: To preserve and protect trails and answer the question, "Where
are you going to ride your horses, and where are you going to keep them."
Telephone (925)937-7661 FAX (925) 943-7431