RE: RC: RE: Buying a horse/WARNING

Title: RE: RC: RE: Buying a horse/WARNING

From my perspective, who pays for the vetting has to be spelled out in the contract.  Normal & customary around here is that the buyer pays for any vet checks that they deem necessary.  It keeps a person from vetting a lot of animals that you aren't sure are right for you & tying up the sellers horse from other possible sales.  A vet check isn't done until there is a contract, usually stipulating that the horse successfully passes whatever portion of the vet check you feel is critical and a deposit is made on the purchase price of the horse.  If he fails the vet check, the deposit is refunded.  If the buyer backs out for any reason, the deposit is retained by the seller...

Of course I realize that customs differ across the country.

In the case of my last purchase, I used my own eyes & ears and didn't bother with a vet check.  The very nice, registered unbroke 4 yo Arab gelding was being sold at near dog food prices since the owner was being relocated cross country & couldn't take 8 horses with her.  If he doesn't turn out, I could always sell him to a 4H home.

Linda
Northern West Virginia

-----Original Message-----
From: Dbeverly4@aol.com [mailto:Dbeverly4@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 12:08 PM
To: flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: RC: RE: Buying a horse/WARNING

In a message dated 10/13/99 8:46:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu writes:

<< You vetted the horse, but didn't leave any deposit.  No contract. (Right?)
 How is the seller to know that the deal will go through when someone with
 ready cash steps forward for the animal. >>

So, who gets stuck with the vet bill?

Sylvia