Reaction to Vaccine

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, J Capaldi wrote...
>I have been debating for a couple of days on posting this message but it
>is so strange, I figured one of you can shed some light.  Living in the
>South, we vaccinate (4 way) twice a year and rabies once per year and
>influenza quarterly. Two geldings are on the same schedule, the other we
>aquired later and is different.  Well, the two had their annual last
>Thursday.  Didn't touch them until Monday.  Went to groom for possible
>ride and both hind legs on both geldings were swollen, really stocked
>up, from the pastern through the fetlock and into the tendons .  Hocks
>were clean.  The horse who hadn't been vaccinated was fine.
>
>Figured it was either shots or some toxic plant, acorns, grass fungus,
>etc.called the vet and pulled them off pasture on to dry lot.  Vet said
>to Bute, hose and he would investigate.  One of my friends had the same
>thing happen to a mare a few years ago and it had something to do with
>the vaccine.
>
>One gelding was really sore, everywhere, especially over the loins and
>croup.  Temp, P & R's were normal.  Bute improved him.  Today, they are
>better, but there is still some edema in the legs.  Vaccine was not Fort
>Dodge,  maybe Bayer?? >>>

Hi Julie,
Even conservative veterinary practitioners and schools are rethinking
their recommended vaccination schedules these days -- and I stole that
sentence directly from a recent article in the Whole Dog Journal
("Current Thoughts on Shots," August 1999). Although some of the
specifics are aimed at dogs, the main concepts are applicable to all
companion animals. Here's a few more highlights from the article:

• According to some veterinary immunologists, we sometimes may be doing
more harm than good by immunizing our furry friends. Vaccination has
eradicated much disease, but is increasingly associated with autoimmune
diseases, allergies, behavior problems and more, especially in animals
who may be predisposed to immune system problems that can stress the system.

• According to Dr. Jean Dodds, DVM, a "moderate" voice in the vaccine
debate, "vaccinating...annually against all the diseases that exist is
too much." In a study of 1,200 dogs tracked to identify duration of
immunity, "94.4% of the dogs still had adequate immunities to parvovirus
and 97.3% were protected against distemper...as long as six years after
the vaccination."

• "Many veterinarians and an increasing number of veterinary schools are
rewriting their vaccination protocols to recommend three-year intervals
between shots rather than annual boosters. Colorado State University's
College of Veterinary Medicine is one of these."  (The American
Association of Feline Practitioners -- equivalent to our AAEP -- has
recommended similar intervals for cats.)

The following methods of reducing the risk of vaccine-related problems
cited in the article includes:

• <instead of automatic revaccination>, measure antibodies through titer
testing and revaccinate when indicated by low titers

• reduce the incidence of booster shots to every three years after the
first annual booster is given

• give INDIVIDUAL vaccines instead of combination shots, and don't give
several shots at one time

• only vaccinate for those diseases that are endemic locally or for
which your animal is at risk

• watch your animal closely for several weeks following vaccination to
look for any reactions that might influence your future vaccination
decisions. ANY health problems following vaccination should be noted,
whether the reaction is a hot spot outbreak, ear infection or something
more dramatic, such as an epilectic seizure. It may be wise not to
administer the same vaccine in the future to any animal who reacts to
the shot one or more times

• do not deworm or initiate new medicines at the time of vaccination.

While ceasing all vaccines is not the goal and would be foolhardy, the
"vaccine debate" is rapidly becoming a mainstream veterinary issue.

For the entire article, contact The Whole Dog Journal at 800/829-9165.
Their sister publication, the Whole Horse Journal, has run similar
articles -- but I wanted to cite the most recent material. Hope I don't
get dragged away for plagiarism...;-)

Bobbie
in Southern Calif.