RC: Breaking two year olds to ride

>Lynette in ND who has an 2 yr. old arab gelding that I told my
husband was too young to start riding. Am I wrong?<

I used to believe the same as you, and thus waited until they were 3 & 4
yr. before getting on them, but when I bought my well started and very
gentle 2yr. old paint a couple of years ago, I had second thoughts about
it.  Granted, he is bigger and seems more mature than an Arab of the same
age, but he wasn't harmed in any way and started slow. So when I read Mrs.
Tankersley's article, I sighed with relief to hear a voice of knowledge
confirm what I was beginning to believe myself.  I find a two yr. olds mind
much softer, and more likely to please than a 4yr.old who now knows all the
tricks.<g> He is more excepting of new things and really seems to love the
game of 'what's new today'.  I'm not saying, nor is Mrs. Tankersley saying,
to begin your conditioning for endurance at two, but that it is OK to get
on them and teach them a few basics as a long two yr. old.
Jan & Rider, the Paint....

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-