Re: RC: RC: Breaking two year olds to ride

Something else to think about. EMDRA rules state:
b. On rides of 15 to 20 miles, the horses must be at least 36
months old

c. on rides exceeding 20 and up to 40 miles, the horse must be
at least
   48 months old

d. On rides over 40 miles the horse must be at least 60 months
old.

So while some of you are saying that you don't even start
riding, (and
I mean getting on the horse's back and going down the road)
until the
horse is 4 years old. It seems to me that in order to compete
with
a horse in CTR as a 3 yr. old, you would have to start light
riding the
horse as a long 2 yr. old.

This is not my beliefs or opinion, just something else to think
about. I
find this all very interesting. Right now I am not sure what to
think. I
use to think that you should not start riding an arab until the
fall of
the 3rd yr., put some training on him, let him go for the
winter, then start
doing some easy riding and trails as a four yr. old. And by easy
trails I am
talking about 10 to 15 miles at a time on fairly flat ground.
But if you want
by the schedule for the rides, you could be doing more. And I
don't agree with
some people posts who seems to think that if the horse is
bulkier they are
more mature and can handle more weight then a finer, narrow
horse. Actually
a finer, smaller horse is going to be able to carry more extra
weight because
they have less of their own weight to carry. And this is also
dependent on
how good of base they have.

Lynette
who has been riding a 13.1 hh 1/2 arab all summer. Cloud Dancer,
the
1/2 arab turned three on January 3, and Lynette who is 5'8" and
I am not
sure about the weight but I would guess somewhere between 180 -
190 lbs. And
I have been telling you guys about all of the great scores CD
has gotten in CTR
and the clean vetting with good sound legs and no sore back.