FW: I tried an OF this weekend

Title: FW: I tried an OF this weekend

-----Original Message-----
From: Flemmer, Linda
REPLIES BY LINDA FLEMMER

1. I could not ride in this saddle!  I am
a dressage rider and I am big on knee rolls.
+++++++++++++++

You may want to consider an express lite or an endurance cut back.  They offer the thigh blocks and knee rolls that give you wonderful security in the saddle!  (even on those fast downhills!)  The 2 styles are almost identical with the express lite having a western-style hornless pommel.  The endurance cutback looks like a cut back english saddle in the pommel.

+++++++++++++++
2.  I have bad feet by design :-) and my cloud stirrups have remedy all the
pain in my feet.  But this saddle caused
horrible pain in my feet after only 3 miles.
+++++++++++++++

Since you are a dressage rider, go back to the basics and ride a session without stirrups.  See if you are reaching to brace!  You can always put the cloud stirrups on this saddle if they really help.  The two styles I mentioned above may also help if the knee/thigh blocks just have to be there.  Also, the Patriot model has the stirrups too far forward for a balanced seat in my opinion.  Express Lite & Endurance cutback seem more like a dressage-oriented eventing saddle.  I have never ridden in the Traditional (no longer produced), but I heard that they were quite balanced also.

3. The biothan fittings have to GO!  What a horrible design.  After 6miles
the fittings rode up under my thigh and caused
terrible rubbing.  Not to mention that the latch came undone and my right
stirrup shot down about 3 inches.

I still use the biothane with camlock "leathers".  I've never had the camlocks let go on me in the last 4 years since I got the saddle.  I like their infinite adjustability, but they cut into my shins.  I added a full saddle, merino wool saddle cover & I haven't had any further problems with the "leathers".  You can always change them out for traditional english leathers and simply slide the buckles down to the stirrups.

If the saddle isn't right, wait & shop around.  It does take time for a person to get used to a different saddle, but you shouldn't work to be comfortable & balanced.  Good luck in finding the right one.

Linda Flemmer