Re: Rescue horses

Lif Strand wrote:

> Like I said Linda, I am not arguing with the merit of rescue, I am just
> pointing out that those prices (and auction prices) undercut other
> prices.  It's not as if there are only a few rescue and auction horses
> available ... It may
> be that no one else cares or agrees that it might not happen for a long
> time (or ever) that we develop "super endurance type" bloodlines, like
> there are bloodlines that are really great for cutting horses, flat
> track horses, steeplechasers, whatever.  But I don't see how that would
> come about by not breeding for that, and there's no incentive now to
> breed for it.

I understand this, and I totally agree with your point. Many folks who
ride endurance and distance trail aren't looking for the Ferraris, BMW's
etc. that breeders offer, they want a nice Ford Escort, cheap, easy,
fuel efficient but not fast, and rescues are an option for them. There
is a market for both if the endurance bred horses perform at the level
the market expects of them. If both classes perform equally well at the
sport? I don't expect them to, but it says something if it happens.

If I were a breeder, I'd study statistics, and work my product and
customer base so that eventually they make me look good. I'd try and
help the folks with my product be successful with it by sponsoring
clinics (paid for by attendees) and newsletters. I'd build a product
with a track record that justifies the price difference. There isn't
much financial incentive now, but if the market and marketing are both
there, there could be.

How to develop the market? I'd form an organization to promote
Endurance, or work with AERC to do this. There are people with lots of
money that ride horses, and endurance would be fun for them. As a
breeder, you need to attract them.

Endurance, as a sport, doesn't market itself effectively. Point - our
two time World Cup Champ got a postage stamp in the major sports rag,
and we were excited??? Give me a break. Valerie's story is a great one,
and she deserved a decent two or three paragraphs, and good picture.

I was pointing out that many rescue horses are well bred (by someone's
standards) and cared for. Worms are not an issue in many of the rescues
I've had experience with, although that can be the case.

Rescue horses may not be bred for endurance characteristics, and while a
carefully chosen rescue horse should work out for (at least)
non-competitive levels of endurance, it can take time and money to find
that out. The *easy* way to do well at endurance is to go to a
responsible breeder or buy their bloodlines. May not be the cheapest
way, may not get that winner... but the odds, for most buyers, are
better.

If I was looking for the ultimate endurance horse? A winner? I'd pick
based on the breeder and bloodlines. My gut instinct for what makes a
good horse, I've been told, is right on. But I'm a big hearted sucker,
and have 4 horses now, 2 with careers as string horses when I take
friends out. And a 3rd rescue that I was going to rehab and find a home
for that... well, is still with me 3 years later.

The reason these prospects are on the block is because there isn't
another market for them... too many horses are selling too cheap. I have
many friends that breed... some are strict and consistent in their
breeding programs. But more of them will throw a good stallion over a
bad mare - or vice versa - and hope for the best. I don't agree with it,
but I've seen it work.

Linda