Rescue horses

> ** WARNING **  Strong opinion follows!  Do not read if you are touchy!
>
> Teddy - Oh right on, right on when you said  >people STILL think they
> are getting a bargain "endurance" horse when they pay $2000 or less.
> They MAY be lucky."
>
> *Note - I am NOT criticizing rescue organizations or the value of
> rescue, just making a point about the economic effect

Some rescue horses come directly out of places where they have gotten
consistent good care, so please don't assume they are all starved or
neglected horses. If you would see soon of the animals that AHRN
rescues, you would be astounded...

These "rescues" can supposedly be had for $175 to $300 at auction
sometimes. With papers and sweepstakes nominations. They are called
"culls". Racetrack culls, show ring culls... or that cute, young green
horse sold to a naive green rider. This is how Stacy's Chance ended up
at auction.

From what I understand, the folks at many of these rescues get as
complete a history on these animals as they can, and are very up-front
about the horses background. It's to their benefit to have "happy
customers".

What I've heard of AHRN ( http://www.ahrn.org/ ) in Southern California,
is great. Many of the animals they get, like the 12 Kellogg mares that
they are trying to place now, have had great care.

We each have to make choices when buying a horse. Buying from a
reputable breeder can be much easier, but rescue is a good option also.
Especially if you have less money than you do time and patience. Both
may be needed to find the right rescue candidate.

  http://www.ahrn.org/

On the Kellogg 12 horses needing temporary homes, please contact
Roseanne at mailto:rocinantes@aol.com

Regards!  Linda, Gilroy CA