Re: buying a horse

In a message dated 1/22/99 3:46:53 PM EST, glenn218@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 The one constant in my purchases have been that emotional impact.  If
 I'm going to spend time with a horse on the trail, I want us to at
 least like each other.

When someone asks me how to find the right horse, I tell them several things,
but the one thing I feel is important is the "connection" that occurs.  The
only way to explain this fully is this:  You go to look at a litter of black
lab pups, they all look exactly alike, how do you choose?  The answer is
usually something about a feeling, or connection with one pup.  I think this
is very important for people to look (and feel) for.  Now, if you want a blue
winner, or a horse that can win the gold, you may be able to overlook this,
but for the average owner, "connection" is important.  I rarely ride horses
that I buy for myself, no need.  I spend a little time with them, alone, away
from the owner and either buy or not.  The level of training is not important
to me, I can train them myself.  I do look at health, conformation, teeth,etc
and get a prepurchase exam, but if there is not the "connection", I won't buy
the superstar.  I may miss out, but it's I that spends so much time with the
horse, I want us to like each other.
Leigh