re: water evasion

> 1.  I have a 5 year old Arab mare who refuses to get her dainty feet wet.  It
> is turning into a real battle of the wills and some not so pretty
> confrontations.  For the most part she is a very agreeable horse, but is
> totally uncooperative when it comes to water.  Does anyone have some training
> tips on how to accomplish this in a less combative (and more effective)
> manner?

Having tried to win this battle with Alpha mares in the past (who didn't
want to det dey itty bitty witto feet wet) and been unsuccessful, I'm
inclined to suggest wearing some waterproof shoes when you ride.  Get
off and wade through it everytime you go out--no arguing, no
waiting--and feed a little treat on the other side of the water.  They
generally follow the rider's lead without too much trouble, and
eventually get over the arguing thing.

> 2.  I have 8 acres of pasture and am getting some rather good sized manure
> piles.  I have tried spreading it out with a box blade and a weighted down box
> springs and neither one has been very effective.  I have access to a tractor
> and will purchase any implement that will work, so I would appreciate any
> input anyone has.

There's a "pasture sweeping" device on the market.  I see them
advertised in Equus from time to time.  It's a tractor-drawn thing.

Good luck!
-Abby B