Back to the Barn? No Go!

Hi fellow Ridecampers!
I am in a bit of a dilemma.  My horse, a QH/TB cross, has a bit of a
barn sourness problem . . .when at home.  While on the road or in a
different place other than familiar ground, this disappears, for the
most part.  However, this makes it difficult to train and ride for
Endurance, when it is frustrating just to get on our way.  He seems to
be improving, but still wants to turn around and go back.  :o( He's a
great horse, this one of his only flaws.  When he gets going, he's
alright!  I ride him in a hackamore, because he's very light mouthed and
responsive.  I tried using a light snaffle bit for hope of correcting
this problem, but all to no avail.  Are there any new suggestions out
there that I might try?

Thanks for your time!
Devony & Toledo (Come on, Mom, can't we go back YET???)