Re: herd mentality

> An interesting observation I've had in watching my two
>geldings
>duke it out --

Had a great experience once.  I had a big 16 h. App gelding who was
always top dog.  A very fair and honorable leader. Then I got an App/TB
cross who was 15.2 but a little stouter built.  He had always been boss.
I kept them in seperate fields for awhile because they were both good
leaders and I hated to see either one have to lose a major battle.
Finally I HAD to put them in together.

They walked up, sniffed noses, then after a little messing around, they
both reared straight up at the same time...but not to fight.  It was as
if they measured each other's height.  Next they came down and got
shoulder to shoulder and just sort of pushed on each other.  Then they
turned and walked off.  At feeding time the 16 h. horse went to the first
bucket and the 15.2 went to the second.  Totally peaceful.  They were
both great guys.

Angie

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]