Re: RC: Help, how do you keep a wrap on?

Swat does a pretty good job of keeping flies of.
Last year I had a very active horse that needed his hoof wrapped due to a
serious injury (he cut the ball off of one hoof from the pastern thru the
hoof.)  Remarkably, although he has no hoof past the quarter, he is sound
and has completed 105 miles this year with no soundness problems.  I became
an expert at wrapping that part of the body.
You are on the right track with the vetwrap and duct tape combination.  I
used several layers, first two for cleanliness, second to keep it in place.
1.	Gauze pad
2.	Stretch gauze
3.	Vet wrap.  Being sure to keep it from being too tight, wrapped around
the leg and the hoof, including under the hoof.
4.	Duct tape.  Wrap around the hoof, around the toe an heel and the bottom.
  You can make it pretty thick.  My vet cautioned me to be sure that the
duct tape was not over the coronet band as he said that could cause damage
to this area.  There is a knack to it that I am sure you will develop
easily with experimentation.  These bandages stayed in place very well and
held the gauze in place over the wound.  If the duct tape started to fray
before I was ready to replace the bandage, I reinforced it without needing
to replace the whole wrap.
Good luck and I hope your horse makes a speedy and full recovery.

.  Now how do you keep the flies off it? I've tryed every flie spray I can
find even Catron IV(used on cattle when dehorned) I've wraped it with vet
wrap ,the whole hoof and lower leg. But with all the dew it crawls up the
leg  by morning and the flies are on it! This morning I put an old sock on
it wraped the hoof with duct tape and leg with vet wrap. I'm hoping this
will stay. But just in case I need some ideas for you all. Some one should
made a easy boot with fly mash on it for this kind of cut.Is there
something like that out there on the market? My vet says just rewrap when
it comes off, but the fly get there way before me. HELP!

http://www.endurance.net.