Re: RC: RE: RE: Ride vetting

In a message dated 6/28/99 10:35:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bobmorris@rmci.net writes:

<< So, again, please every one do your homework prior to making broad
 statements on such subjects where the welfare of the AERC can be put at
 risk. >>

Various forms of the statement about using DVM in situations which infer a
license are common.  However, in activities that involve judging, rather than
diagnosis or treatment, there is NO prohibition about using one's rightful
title.  It isn't any different than if a retired or academic DVM writes a
book or gives advice in a clinic.

In your previous post, you tried to link preride exams to diagnosis.  That's
a pretty big step.  Example--you do not allow a horse to start because he is
grade 3 lame.  That is not a diagnosis at all.  That is merely the
identification of a symptom.  Diagnosis would entail working that lameness
up, possibly through diagnostic means such as nerve blocks, ultrasound,
x-ray, manipulation to determine if the lameness becomes worse, etc.  The
next time you see a ride vet do that for the lame horses at the ride (or at
least do it in context with the ride vetting) let me know.  Same thing with
metabolic problems.  If a horse fails a check metabolically, it doesn't
matter if he is colicky, tied up, overridden, underconditioned, or has a case
of the flu.  To the control vet, he simply isn't fit to continue.  Any
diagnosis goes hand in hand with treatment, which is beyond the control
phase.  Certainly experienced ride vets will share their perception of the
horse with the diagnosing/treating veterinarian, but that's just common sense
and keeping the welfare of the horse first and foremost.  Meanwhile, I can
imagine the laughter and wrath I would have gotten from my professors had I
EVER listed "not fit to continue" as a diagnosis in vet school clinics!

Heidi