Fire Mt. 50

>Jackie Bumgardner puts on the High Sierra Classic which also limits the
>number of entries to 100.  It is interesting that when that ride fills up,
>and people can't get in, there is not the anger that I am hearing now, but
>rather the attitude that  "if you snooze, you lose."  I realize, that this
>is a qualifying ride for the championship ride, but I would be interested to
>know how many of those entered in the 50 are really considering travelling
>to New Mexico in August to compete.

Terry:

I for one am planning on going to NM. I am the one who Tom told the first
week in January that I would have plenty of time to mail my entry in if he
mailed it to me that week.  I WANTED HIM TO FAX IT.  He would not.  I also
wanted to send a check THEN.  He assured me that I had plenty of time, and
that I would be entered. (I told him that I was definitely coming)  Well
guess what.  The post office takes a little longer to mail an entry to and
from Nevada, because I have friends that requested entries the same time I
did.  I mailed my entry back the SAME DAY I received it.  They are entered.
 I am not.  I didn't wait any longer than most of the people that ARE
ENTERED IN THE RIDE.

I realize that I should have entered a month sooner.  However, I hardly
think it is fair to be told that there is time for me to enter thru the
mail and then deny me entry.  After I have been assured I could get in.
Obviously, the majority of the riders did not send their entries in three
weeks early or else maybe Tom would have agreed to FAX me the entry like I
wanted.   I'm not stupid.  I knew this ride might fill up because other
riders at DVE told me.  That is why I specifically asked him about
this....I'm not mad because there is a limit on the # of entries, or that
the ride filled up before my entry was received.

>This ride has always been run fairly.  And if weather is unpredictable
>getting from the eastern sierras, any other ride in the Pacific South would
>be farther from you than fire mt.  The intention is to rotate between all

Yeah, but how many other rides in the PS are in January?  Come on....the
problem with the weather conditions is because of the date of the ride.

>Jackie Bumgardner puts on the High Sierra Classic which also limits the
>number of entries to 100.  It is interesting that when that ride fills up,
>and people can't get in, there is not the anger that I am hearing now, but

Jackie at least takes a waiting list.  For the Fire Mountain ride to be
considered a qualifying ride for the National Championship 50, I consider
it to be a bit out of line for Tom to refuse to have a waiting list.
Jackie also will fax entries when you ask her to.

Obviously not very much thought went into choosing this ride.  I have
received dozens (probably 30+) posts already on this subject.  I can't
remember the last time I have received such a response on a subject.  I
realize that this 50 mile Championship is a new program, but it is clearly
obvious that the AERC doesn't have it's act together.

Karen