Re: carbos vs. sweet feed

In a message dated 1/7/99 1:28:43 AM Pacific Standard Time, cyclone@snet.net
writes:

<< For curiosity's sake, how does supplementing with carbos compare to
 feeding sweet feed?  What are the "carbo" supplements made from?

 Abby Bloxsom >>

The carbs we use in carbo-loaders are long chain corn sugars, and we combine
them with chromium. Sweet feed breaks down into the same basic sugars,
finally, but the process takes longer and there are several papers comparing
hi and low glycemic index supplements during endurance exercise in humans
suggesting that the higher glycemic index foods are more effective. Another
benefit of these concentrated carbs is that, if you don't have a horse that
likes to eat much during a ride, for whatever reason, these can be pasted
quickly and easily.

ti