Feeding the Endurance horse

  I have been reading several articles on ridecamp
and have come to the conclusion that it is best
not to feed alfalfa or ricebran. I was reading the
book "GO THE DISTANCE" by Nancy Loving,DVM
and read you could feed as much as 2 cups of
vegetable oil in place  of some of the grain.
According to your article veg. oil has 8.98
mcals/kg of engeryor 340%compared to ricebran
plus  the fat content. What is your   opinion of
feeding veg. oil  and have you had input from
others who feed it or have fed it?
Thanks
John Wilkins