Re: Feeding the Endurance horse

Hi, all!
I have been reading with interest some of the posts lately re: oil and
rice bran.  I, too, read Nancy Loving's book and it was immediately
apparent to me after finding out how much rice bran was which I was
going to feed... I have bugged Heidi and Susan off and on since I got on
ridecamp about feed and nutrition, beet pulp and oil being my big
thing!  I have had great success with both and after adding a probiotic
(you know, the "bugs"), I have had even better success.  My horses are
sleek and shiny, their hair actually feels "silky" though I often refer
to them as woolly.  As long as their coat is, we can even see those
dapples in the dark coated ones and I have always heard that is a sign
of healthy horses... they are also energetic and except for maybe having
a little too much spunk for awhile (I cut down some on their total feed
ration trying to keep the formula basically the same) and they seem to
have calmed down... I must warn you though!!  Don't ever try to NOT give
them something they come to expect to have!  Our feed guy's truck broke
down and due to the weather this week couldn't make his delivery and we
ran out of beet pulp... they still got their ration in their bucket with
warm water but they didn't get the extra that we normally put in feed
tubs outside to supplement the hay... after we turned them out they
checked EACH feed tub and immediately came back to the barn door, ears
laid back and it didn't take too much to figure out what they thought of
THAT!!  They were royally ticked off!!!  They didn't care that they got
extra hay!!  They wanted beet pulp!!!  So, anyway, if you want
particulars about how I feed (changes for the individual which drives my
family crazy), mail me privately and I'll tell you specifics but
generally I just wanted to let everyone know that I have definitely had
success with oil (in combination with beet pulp and probiotics) and I
can't wait until ride season to experience the new improved version of
my team... me and my horse!!  Now if I could get RID of MY fat, we'd be
all set!!  :)
Maggie