Bone Spavin

Hello Ridecampers!
  I am in need of your collective wisdom...My almost four-year-old Morgan
gelding has bone spavin in both hocks.  I purchased him as a two-year-old
knowing that he had this condition.  (It was determined by radiograph when
another prospective buyer had his pre-purchase exam done and found stiffness
during the flexion test.)  The concensus was that the condition would most
likely calcify and he'd be sound.  The source of the arthritis seems to be
poor confirmation in the hindquarters, although the front end is very well put
together.

  I wrote to EQUUS and got some good advice back (Oct. 98 pg. 85), but when I
wrote the letter he was showing no lameness and by the time the answer came he
was showing significant soreness.  Our vet recommended working him through the
stiffness with mild work, but Casey started getting back spasms when ridden.
My saddle does not seem to be the problem, and the vet has now told me that I
need to strengthen Casey's back by starting from the beginning with simply
sitting on his back for five minutes a day, then as time goes on work up to
ten minutes of jogging by the end of six weeks.  He feels that Casey will
never be a horse who can sit for a couple of weeks without someone at least
sitting on his back because he needs to develop those muscles and keep them
strong to compensate for poor "design".

  I've been working on this strengthening stuff for weeks.  His hocks are now
both swollen and stiff and he has quit racing around his corral and bucking
and spends most of his time in quiet standing.  How far had I gotten with the
exercises?  Riding him bareback in the arena at a walk for five minutes!  I
can't seem to find any sources of information as to what do do for him.  I
have him on Yucca and E with Selenium, but I can't really afford glucosamine
or chrondroitin sulfate.  The vet did a chiropractic manipulation of Casey's
back and neck which helped, but I understand that the sore hocks can lead to a
sore back.

  I really, really need some suggestions.  BTW, I have no delusions of
grandeur about ever endurance racing this horse!
  Your input is very much appreciated and feel free to e- me privately.
  Diane Tatum