Re: Riding W/ herd communication

In a message dated 1/12/99 5:13:24 PM EST, sweety@nni.com writes:

<<  they cock that ear and the other horse is
 generally already aware of the threat of a double barreled kick, so he backs
 away. The horse isn't saying "Sir, would you ever so pretty please move
 away" The horse is communicating "Get the f*ck back or I'll kick!" We don't
 like to think of horse training like this - but it's a fact, whether you
 wish to be in denial or not, a horse isn't going to do what you ask merely
 because you love and feed him.

In an effort to change the subject.....I wish new horse folks could/would
learn this.  I have a herd of 9 horses that stay together, outside all the
time.  It has helped me alot just watching these guys communicate with each
other.  I may be over simplifing here but it appears to me that horses don't
love as we wish them too, not like a dog or another person.  Horses
respect....or not.  The bossiest horse in a herd is the one the others follow
and learn from.  They respect him/her.  The boss should be fair and
consistant, but not cuddly and lovey.  We also need to learn from this and use
their techniques to communicate with them.  We are supposed to be the smarter
of the two species, we need to learn their language rather than they learn
ours.  Just a thought
Leigh