Re: why join AERC?

Nat & Richard wrote:

> Trail maintenance is all well and good, but I, for one, would prefer to see AERC
> take a more effective role at the national level to preserve, if not expand
> endurance trail mileage.
>  5) Interact/negotiate/lobby with other national-level stakeholders, including
>     government agencies, other horse organizations, runners, mountain bikers,
>     environmental groups, ranchers, timber groups.

I have to second Rich's statements.  This is definitely a place for
national leadership from AERC!!!!!!!!!!

I recently received a mailing from a Pittsburgh bicycle club that showed
how they were part of a national fund raising drive for the organization
who lobbies for Rails-to-Trails projects.  They were lobbying for
donations and memberships for Rails to Trails.  Even though my husband &
I don't bike, their brochure was very effective.  We donated!  They
emphasized support of multi-use trails, specifically including
horse-back riding.

They send out periodic updates of Rails to Trails projects, legislative
alerts, maps & trail information, etc.

Where was AERC?  I'm a memeber of AERC and have NEVER received this sort
of support and information from them.  I would far rather see my dollars
going towards trail preservation & construction than money going to
national awards.  The awards are nice recognition, but they will
DISAPPEAR if there are no trails to ride on!!

What role does AERC assume now?  Does it have a long term trail plan?
Who is it working with?  (Rails to Trails?  Nat'l bicycle & hiking
groups?)  Is there a way to contact AERC about local trail concerns and
get a "national" ball rolling to assist locals?  A national organization
(AERC) should act as a clearing house for trail issues.  They'll have
"been there, done that" and can lead the locals clear of traps and
legislative problems.  AERC can keep those local groups from reinventing
the wheel each time.

How about it, all you online AERC board members?  Is this happening
quietly at AERC?  What are the AERC plans?  How are they to be
implemented?  Time lines for implementation?

Linda Flemmer