Re: why join AERC?

Connie, you wrote, in part,

> ... Does AERC do trail maintenance?   As a group, the logistics
> are probably impractical on a national basis, but on a local level I am
> sure that many riders DO just that. Personally, I do a lot of volunteer
> work on trails, ....

Trail maintenance is all well and good, but I, for one, would prefer to see AERC
take a more effective role at the national level to preserve, if not expand
endurance trail mileage.  AERC should focus on doing the things that cannot be
done so well locally by individuals, ride managers or ride clubs.  For example:

 1) Foster and act as a clearinghouse for research that can be used locally to
    debunk misinformation about equine damage to trails and ecosystems.

 2) Evaluate and publicize effectiveness of state laws which are meant to
    shield horse owners, businesses and especially landowners from frivolous
    lawsuits related to equestrian activities.  Develop model legislation.

 3) Collect and evaluate "Best Practices" from local activist groups and spread
    results to all (website? EN?); publish a list of groups, with info about
    their size, purpose, geographic scope, points of contact, etc.

 4) Collect, evaluate and publish information on the annual health of our
    sport:  Is the number of endurance trail miles increasing year to year?
    If not, why and where are we losing ground?  Who rides endurance?  Are we
    bringing in new blood or are we aging out of existence?  etc.

 5) Interact/negotiate/lobby with other national-level stakeholders, including
    government agencies, other horse organizations, runners, mountain bikers,
    environmental groups, ranchers, timber groups.

In short, AERC can leverage its position as a significant nationwide rider
organization.  These kinds of activities -- which for some riders would be far
more valuable than mileage point logging -- would serve to attract members to
the rolls and to the sport.

/richard goodwin

--
    Natalie's Barn & Breakfast -- a B&B for Horses ...and their Riders
http://www.foothill.net/natalies  530-637-4644 or Toll Free: 1-877-NATBARN