Re: Running Martingales

> Now that my horse is almost 20 and I am 28 I have
>been taking dressage lessons from a member of the German Riding Federation
and
>he says that a top level horse should still be able to perform advanced
>movements in a gentle snaffle.  In fact he says that a horse is only truely
>schooled when they can do this.  If you watch some of the Grand Prix level
>horses, however, you will see the rider leaning slightly back because they
are
>pulling with everything they have to control their horse.

I agree with your trainer in the fact that a top level horse should be able
to work in a snaffle...even a French link snaffle, which is very mild.
Most of the top level horses I have seen during training sessions *are*
working in a single or double jointed snaffle.  They are required to ride
in a double bridle for FEI level tests -- and this is *not* something that
you can pull with everything you've got and still have a horse with all 4
feet on the ground. ;-)  (For those that aren't familiar with the double
bridle, it consists of 2 bit hangers -- the shortest one has a bridoon (a
fairly thin loose ring snaffle) and the longer one has a bit similar to a
western curb which is used to enhance collection when needed.  The horse is
ridden mainly with the snaffle on consistent light contact and the curb
with no contact unless needed.  Most really good trainers in upper level
dressage do most of their training with only the snaffle and switch to the
double bridle for competitions.)  Klaus Balkenhal (from Germany) warmed up
for the '96 Olympics in Atlanta in only the snaffle and just popped the
rest of the bridle on right before his ride.

In order for a horse to make it to FEI level in dressage, he has to go thru
many years of training and showing...and he's not going to advance to that
level if he's out of control.  What you see when they are leaning back is
possibly an attempt to shift more weight towards the rear during certain
movements...or...there are some instructors that teach the sitting trot
with the body posture in a slightly "leaning back" position.  I don't like
this method, but it's out there.  It often goes along with the rider that's
throwing their body all over the place trying to do flying changes.  Some
riders, also, during extended gaits, will try to encourage the horse to go
more forward by leaning back and driving with their seat bones.  Not good
technique if you can see what they're doing. <g>

Since there is always contact on the snaffle bit during tests and most of
the time during training sessions, (the contact is creating a straight line
from the rider's elbow to the bit), it may appear that the rider is pulling
more than what she actually is.  Some horses are VERY strong when they are
moving well forward...and when they have not been schooled correctly, they
will hang on the rider's arms...and it's the rider causing the problem by
holding both reins steady and strong.  This problem usually occurs during
lower levels where the horse has not yet developed the ability to totally
carry himself...and the rider is not yet using all of the aids correctly.
If the rider is pulling on the reins, the horse is leaning on the bit.  If
the horse is leaning on the bit, it's BECAUSE the rider is PULLING ON THE
REINS.  This, again, is *bad* lower level riding.  Another cause of horse
pulling on the reins is when he has been ridden for too long (5 minutes is
long enough) in a cranked in position...his neck starts to cramp and he
leans on the bit in an attempt to get rid of the pain.  I have seen some
FEI level riders warm up horses in a collected frame for a half hour or
more without giving them a stretch...and then wonder why their horses are
getting grumpy! ;-)

All of my horses work in a French link snaffle during their dressage
sessions and they are all being schooled with light contact, an always
giving inside rein and steady, supportive outside rein, and lots of seat
and leg cues.  I have never used a martingale during training but have
occasionally used balancing reins when I start green horses on the ground.
I don't like draw reins or side reins since they create a solid force that
the horse can lean on.  The result of this is an overdeveloped muscle under
the neck and a weak top line.  Yes, you can get a horse into a frame, but
it's artificial and detrimental to the muscle development.  The result of
using good aids and no gimmicks while riding is a horse that is light on
the bit, bends well with body cues only, is very forward in "rear wheel
drive", and has a gorgeous, well developed top line!

Thanks to all of those that have responded to the running martingale
question.  I can see that there may be a time when I would choose to use
one for a short period of time on a horse who needs some retraining for
serious head tossing.  Aside from that, I think I'll stick to the simple
basics and lots and lots of them. <g>

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm